Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Pixie & Trixie Bug

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review - Pixie & Trixie Bug

About the Book
 In a magical, green garden down on Rollingbrook Way, twins, Pixie and Trixie Bug live with all their garden friends . . . Always wrapped up in adventures, along with the twins, is Lizzie, the Audrey Hepburn of Ladybugs, Catrina the Caterpillar, who is about to become a beautiful butterfly, Freddy the Frog and his pretty girlfriend, Lola, Delilah the Dragonfly, who soars through the garden now that she finally got her glasses from Doc Bum Bulbee, Gus the Grasshopper, who is known as General G for short, Daphne the Doodlebug, who doesn't like bright lights or loud noises, "Wheelie" the Walking Stick, who uses a wheelchair he named Flower Power to get around, Sidney the Slug, on his skateboard and Squirm the Worm Pardon, who is the twins oldest friend in all of the garden. With creative rhyming text and gorgeous, colorful illustrations, first in the series of books, Pixie and Trixie Bug shares that no matter who you are, how you are, what you look like, what you like to eat or do or wear, everyone is unique and special, just like me and you . . . Pixie and Trixie Bug, first in the series, celebrates "twinship", frienship, uniqueness and inclusion. And what all the friends in the garden knew what they counted on each day was the friendship they shared . . . Down on Rollingbrook Way.

My Take on the Book
Not being a twin myself, I have only looked on in awe of the special bond that twins can have between themselves (at least in looking from the outside in). This book captures this special bond and shares it with the readers young and old. I shared this with my girls and can to find that they simply enjoyed the book itself and the story that was shared. I particularly enjoyed the beautiful artwork within the book and found it to be a great addition to our growing library of childrens books.

In asking my oldest (6.5 year old) what she liked about the book, she said that she liked the twins but also story itself. As a parent, I found the book to be also quite diverse, showing the importance of inclusion and tolerance. I thought it was very nice that some of the characters in the book had special needs, which allow kids to see these types of characters in a different light and can shed some light on the special needs children that they will meet in school themselves.

I don't know whether this book will be a series, but all I can say is, I hope so! You will not be disappointed with this book! 

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: