Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Zen Doodling

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Book Review - Zen Doodling


About the Book
Today's hectic lifestyle can leave us burned out. It's no wonder that more and more people are engaging in healing activities such as yoga, meditation, and massage. Artistic expression is also a great way to de-stress. Barron's Zen Doodling, combines the calming benefits of meditation with the soothing effects of drawing for a unique new take on relaxation.

Zen doodling doesn't require any artistic training, and there's no need for special tools or equipment. With just a pen and a scrap of paper, many find that the simple repetitive nature of drawing patterns is spiritually rewarding and can boost creative confidence.

Here, professional illustrator and artist, Carolyn Scrace offers simple instructions and tons of beautiful examples that will inspire artists of all levels to get started in this unique art form. You'll find:


  • A range of exercises from simple patterns using lines and shapes, to more complex mandalas, portraits, and even unique personal alphabets that incorporate depth and color
  • Great ideas for adding a Zen touch to fabric, journals, china, glass, and more
  • Basic lessons on color theory, light and shade, and a helpful glossary of relevant terms


With down-to-earth language and engaging design, Zen Doodling offers a distinctive approach to artistic creativity, and a method for achieving personal serenity.

My Take on the Book
I have a colleague at my work that is completely into this and I had never tried it myself, so when I was asked to review this book, I thought that this would definitely give me some new insights into what he enjoys but also what this is all about and how it can help people to relax. This book is the ultimate tool for anyone that is trying to start Zen Doodling as it walks you from beginning to end and helps you to even come up with some starting doodles as well. The book is well laid out with full color beautiful images which help you to better conceptualize what the art of Zen Doodling is all about and what you can do through this as well. I tried my hand at a few and can say that I still need some work, but this book is definitely a book that will help me in getting there!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: