Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - The Last Ride of Caleb O'Toole

Friday, September 20, 2013

Book Review - The Last Ride of Caleb O'Toole

The Last Ride of Caleb O'Toole

 photo disclaimer2_zps8af35ac1.jpg

About the Book
"I need you to be strong."

Caleb O'Toole could hear his mother's last words as clearly as if she was sitting right next to him. He promised her he'd keep his sisters safe. But safety is over a thousand miles away in the rugged Bitteroot Mountains—past dust-choked deserts and thorny tumbleweeds and as sun so hot, it's hard to breathe. Tornadoes and hungry wolves wait for them on the path ahead. But with the infamous Blackstone Gang hot on their trail, Caleb has no choice but to keep going. There's no telling how far the gang will go to keep their latest murder a secret. And Caleb is the number one witness to their crime.

Caleb O'Toole can hear his mother's last words: "I need you to be strong." and he can't let her down.



My Take on the Book
WOW! This is a powerful book that simply transports you back in time into a world that I don't think many of today's youth could handle. Talk about living in adverse conditions! I chose to read this book with my eldest, and it really opened up a great dialogue about what it must have been like for Caleb and his family and everything that they had to overcome to simply survive. In my mind I honestly am hoping that it helps her put things into perspective and allows her to see how good kids today have it! The book is action-packed and my daughter really got into it, continuing to ask for one more chapter even when it was time for bed! Also, though I knew the story was fiction, you can tell that the author did a great job at researching the era and he truly put things into perspective for me. This is a great way to encourage any young child to learn about the past as the book is a great read with characters that are dynamic and a storyline that is engaging and fast-paced!

----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: