Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Upstyle Your Furniture: Techniques and Creative Inspiration to Style Your Home

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Book Review - Upstyle Your Furniture: Techniques and Creative Inspiration to Style Your Home

Upstyle Your Furniture: Techniques and Creative Inspiration to Style Your Home

 photo disclaimer_zpsd3x74ej2.jpg


About the Book


Owning one-of-a-kind, bespoke furniture is no longer a privilege of the wealthy or the realm of professional designers. Upstyle Your Furniture shows the rest of us how easy it is to create custom pieces of furniture with a bit of imagination and easy-to-find materials. Why spend a fortune on designer furniture when it's so easy to simply restyle old or inexpensive pieces? Inside, readers will find everything they need to create a look that complements their unique personality and style, including:

  • An introduction to design basics, from tools and materials to understanding how to work with surfaces like wood, glass, fabric, and metal
  • Dozens of tutorials for faux painting techniques; refinishing and distressing surfaces; embellishing upholstery with trims, printing, and embroidery; and much more
  • Resources for supplies, great websites for extra advice, a glossary of terms, and lots of money- and time-saving tips
An engaging feature of this book lies in its use of "case studies." These brief profiles explore the challenges faced by non-professionals who tackled a project on their own and achieved great results. More than 300 full color images throughout.


My Take on the Book
I have not done a lot of upcycling in the past but I have heard about it and was interested in learning more. This book was filled with amazing tips that I learned a ton from. While I am definitely a beginner, I still felt that I could understand what they were saying. I might have done better in my attempts if I had a bit more experience, but that was ok in the end. The book has some great illustrations that walk you through the steps to follow to create some very amazing furniture. The directions were easy to follow and there are a ton of new ideas that I would love to try again in the future.


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: